Match Report – O35.1 – 23 August 2015

Match Report – O35.1 – Game Date: 23 August 2015

BMFC O35.1: 2
Hazelbrook FC: 1

BMFC Goal Scorers: Rori Badcell, The General (Marty Dunn)

Player of the Match: Danny (Shimmy) Margetts

Match Report: This was to be the triumphant return of Rori Badcell, and triumphant it was! Rori is a reclusive creature who only comes out to forage during Hazelbrook fixtures. When Rori turned up in the changing room on Sunday morning the Blueys were almost as happy to see him as the Hazelbrook boys weren’t.

The final fixture of the round robin series and both Blueys and Hazelbrook went into the game with maximum points from the two previous rounds. A slight goal difference advantage to Hazelbrook meant that a draw would mean the end of the campaign for Blueys.

Thankfully, an injection of personnel meant that the Blueys had a strong team with a strong bench. A much welcome return to sweeper for Danny (Shimmy) Margetts freeing Rori Badcell up for his much preferred foraging role in the centre of the midfield. Hazelbrook also looked strong with a number of key players returning from injury. Coach Joe is absent with a bad dose of the flu, so The Mighty Quinn takes the reigns as team organiser and substitution manager.

With Jude Law officiating in black and white the game kicks off and Blueys are instantly on the back foot as Hazelbrook appear to start with 3 formidable strikers. Young Sean Burns and The General (Marty Dunn) react quickly and take on caretaker roles as third defenders, chiming in with some excellent defensive challenges. Hazelbrook press hard, but the Blueys defence is in excellent shape. The ball is admittedly in the Blueys half for the first twenty minutes, but no real scoring chances are created by Hazelbrook. The best chances at this stage would appear to be coming from a Blueys counter-attack. Shimmy Margetts has had 100 touches of the ball before the first twenty are over, and at least 99 of them are without fault.

Gradually, the Hazelbrook overindulgence with strikers is beginning to take its toll. 25 minutes in and the Blue Mountains midfield are very much on top. Young Sean Burns is starting to find some space on the right and Shimmy Margetts is hitting him regularly with inch perfect cross field balls. 35 minutes in and the inevitable happens, Justin Burns lays at beautiful through ball to Rori Badcell who finishes with panache to give the Blueys a 1-0 lead.

A striker substitution by Hazelbrook brings about the most unsavoury moment of the game. Two Spanish archers in the space of five minutes left Pommy and Davey Heyman with bruised faces. The stand in striker (affectionately named “Large multiplier” by D Heyman) receiving his marching orders, not only by Jude Law but also by Pommy. This earned Pommy his own share of the cheese and some well earned criticism from team mates at half time. Blueys dominating 1-0 with an extra man.

Second half started much the same way. Blueys stayed calm and held possession, gradually wearing Hazelbrook down and creating chances along the way. The game looked to be comfortably in our hands when with 15 minutes to go things turned to custard. A possession handover allowed Hazelbrook to counter attack quickly and an intelligent switch to an unmarked right midfielder left the Blue Mountains defence helpless. A beleaguered appeal for offside was unsuccessful and the Hazelbrook midfielder calmly slotted the equaliser in Badcell-esque fashion.

About two minutes later the penny drops and Blueys realise that Hazelbrook have not only scored an equaliser, but also an effective winner. Quinny quickly recruits Shimmy Margetts into striker leaving a flat back-line, but Hazelbrook are not really looking to score.

Pauley McCartan is brought down on the edge of the Hazelbrook penalty area. The free kick is taken, and all eyes are on Pauley for the header. As the ball sails over Pauley’s head, up steps The General! Marty Dunn with a beautifully timed volley beats the keeper at the near post to put the Blueys ahead 2-1 and the final is within sight.

Hazelbrook are not done yet though, and throw a desperate attack at the Blueys. A corner is awarded which is initially cleared, however the second phase cross is met with a Hazelbrook header which looks destined to score high at the near post. Suddenly Pommy’s head appears out of nowhere and clears the ball to safety (Pommy didn’t write this by the way….).

Blueys win 2-1 and book a place in the final against Penrith FC whose upset win against the ever popular Band Club brought an even bigger smile to the Blueys faces. A good game and a great win. Special mentions to The Mighty Quinn for some calm organisation. Jude Law (ref) probably the best ref we have seen at the local level in a long while, if ever. Rhett for playing on bravely with a badly strained thigh. Davey Heyman for leaving Yoghurt-land early …. Mick Randall for the much needed walking off the field settler. Hazelbrook for playing in great spirit as usual (with one small exception). Finally The Sausage Sizzle and its contributors: The Pirate (Onions), Emma (Corey’s missus) for the outstanding Chilli Jam, Scotty Shields for starting things rolling, Marty Dunn and Pommy on the tools, The Bose tunes.

Bring on the finals.