Match Report U16.3 – 31-08-2008

vs Penrith FC
Opposition Score 4

Match Report

Blue Mountains’ were on top for much of their last game of the season against Penrith FC and were unlucky to lose by two goals in six. After being three goals down just after half-time, Blue Mountains put continued pressure on the Penrith goal, with both Cameron and James C finding the net and Alex having a penalty saved after James C was fouled running with the ball into the penalty area.

The game finished with Blue Mountains pushing hard for an equaliser but instead it was Penrith who sealed the result with a goal in the last minute.

The game had action from the start. Mitchell C passed to Jason in the first minute but his shot was just wide. From the goal kick the ball went straight to the other end with Penrith FC opening their account, all in the first minute. Blue Mountains didn’t get disheartened and 7 minutes into the game Scott put Mitchell H through but his shot went just wide. Then 5 minutes later Blue Mountains won a corner, the ball fell to Mitchell C but his shot also went just wide. 3 minutes later Blue Mountains mounted their most impressive attack so far involving Mitchell C, Scott and James C and culminated with Scott’s shot which hit the crossbar when a goal looked certain. But 3 minutes later Penrith FC scored from a corner to increase their lead against the run of play.

Blue Mountains continued to attack and within a minute Liam had a shot from the edge of the penalty area which was saved by the goalkeeper. Then 4 minutes later Cameron pushing forward crossed from the left wing kick, Tom gathered the ball on the right wing and crossed to win a corner. 2 minutes later Tom and Alex combined on the right to win another corner. As the first half drew to a close, Dan and Alex combined on the right to win yet another corner, Dan had a shot saved and Alex shot just wide. But the half time score remained 0-2. Blue Mountains came out positive into the second half but again suffered the worst possible start conceding a goal from a breakaway in the first minute to go three goals down.

11 minutes into the half Cameron took a corner and found Mitchell C whose header went just wide. 2 minutes later Penrith FC won a corner from which James B did well diving to save a shot. His clearance found James C who passed to Mitchell H and then on to Cameron pushing forward whose strong shot found the back of the net. 8 minutes later James C was judged to have been unfairly disposessed on a run through the centre of the penalty area but Alex’s spot shot was well saved by the ‘keeper. But 4 minutes later Cameron’s pass found James C who made no mistake, reducing the deficit to one goal with 9 minutes left to play. Blue Mountains continued to push forward seeking an equaliser. But this left gaps at the back which Penrith FC exploited in the last minute, scoring again from a breakaway.

Throughout their last game of the season Blue Mountains displayed the teamwork and positional discipline which has developed so well over the season. Backs Ben and Cameron and sweeper Mitchell C coped effectively with Penrith FC’s attacks and cleared well. Midfielders Dan, Liam, Scott, Tom and wingers Alex and Justin pushed forward consistently providing good service to forwards James C and Mitchell H, while goalkeeper James B was solid as ever and making great clearances. The team may not have won any trophies this season but they have played well and fairly and can be justifiably proud of their achievements.

Goal Scorers Cameron, James C
Player of the Match The entire team!