Match Report U16.3 – 10-08-2008

vs Glenmore Park
Opposition Score 5

Match Report Blue Mountains’ game against league leaders Glenmore Park was a tight competitive contest with both teams dominating for periods. The first half was even with Blue Mountains unlucky to be two-one down at half-time. Glenmore Park dominated early in the second half scoring 3 early goals. But as the half progressed Blue Mountains became more aggressive and got well on top, with forwards Mitchell H and James C each scoring making for an exciting final 10 minutes. Clearances from defence to attack by PoM Cameron, Mitchell C and Ben, dependable goalkeeping and good distribution by ‘keeper James B, good work on the wings involving Tim, Ben Hof, Liam and Justin, constant harrying by Scott and Tom in midfield, some great long throw-ins from Dan and strong attacking runs put continued pressure on the Glenmore Park goal, but the game finished with Blue Mountains two goals down. The game started with good end-to-end football, with James C winning a corner after 4 minutes following a strong run up the left of the field. 4 minutes later, Mitchell C took a free kick from his own half of the field, finding James C who took the ball up the left centre of the field. His cross found Mitchell H who mishit the ball but Blue Mountains scored as one of the defenders backheeled the ball into his own net under pressure during the subsequent goalmouth melee. Blue Mountains’ lead lasted only 4 minutes as Glenmore Park equalised following a break. With the scores equal, both teams continued to push forward, with Dan pushing forward on the left and finding Tim on the left wing who was unfairly dispossessed as he brought the ball into the centre. Dan’s strong free kick was well saved by the Glenmore Park ‘keeper. Four minutes before half time Glenmore Park scored an opportunistic goal following a rare defensive lapse giving Glenmore Park a one goal lead at the break. The second half started strongly with Dan finding James C in the first minute who ran stongly up the centre but his hard shot under pressure was well saved by the ‘keeper. But Blue Mountains pushing forward were leaving gaps at the back and Glenmore Park scored 3 goals in the space of 4 minutes, giving them a 5-1 lead 6 minutes into the second half. Instead of capitulating, the Blue Mountains team became more positive and aggressive as the second half progressed. Backs Mitchell C, Ben and Cameron were more attacking in their clearances, midfielders Liam, Dan, Scott, Tom and Ben Hof all pushed forward consistently, providing good support to forwards James C and Mitchell H. Wingers Tim and Jason worked well on the flanks giving width to the team, while James B was dependable in goal, coming out to clear attacks and able to find attackers with his clearances. 18 minutes into the second half Mitchell H Ben Hof and Liam won a throw in following good work on the left wing. Dan took a good attacking long throw-in which found Mitchell H in the middle of the penalty area. His strong shot beat the ‘keeper to find the back of the net. Mitchell H and James C were working well together in the centre and made two good chances in a minute 5 minutes later. Firstly Mitchell H put the ball through to James C who couldn’t quite reach it before the ‘keeper then James C passed to Mitchell H whose shot went just wide. Blue Mountains were now well on top and 2 minutes later Tim took a throw-in on the left finding Mitchell H who passed to James C who made no mistake with his strong shot, reducing the deficit to 2 goals with 10 minutes to play. Blue Mountains attacking pressure continued and with 6 minutes to go a good move on the right involving Tom, Jason, Mitchell H and James C culminated with Tom having a shot which was saved. Two minutes later Cameron took a corner from the left which Mitchell C met with a header which went just wide with the ‘keeper well beaten. But Blue Mountains were unable to find the net again, finishing the game two goals down.
Goal Scorers Own Goal, Mitchell H, James C
Player of the Match Cameron