Match Report U15.3 – 6 May, 2007

vs St Mary's SC
Opposition Score 1
Match Report Blue Mountains recorded their first win of the season with a well rounded team performance, excelling in both attack and defence. While they received some overdue good luck in the early stages, Blue Mountains dominated the first half before a more even second period and thoroughly deserved the 5 -1 scoreline.

After only 5 minutes Justin opened the scoring with a fine shot after a good run into the right side of the penalty area. Two minutes later Cameron pushed the ball upfield from near the halfway line and a cruel bounce went over the head of the St Mary’s ‘keeper who was off his line to increase the early lead. Then Stephen fired a great shot from a sharp angle on the right to make it 3-0 after only 10 minutes. But more was to come 3 minutes later with James C making a fine solo run from the halfway line, beating a defender and finding the back of the net with a great shot from the left of the penalty area.

Meanwhile Mitchell C, Aden and Cameron had been very solid at the back while Stephen, Liam, Sam, Ben, Mitchell H and Ferret worked hard and effectively in midfield and James B performed well in goal including a fine reflex save to push the ball round the post from one of the few attacks to get past the backs.

Blue Mountains continued to attack with a good run from Mitchell H winning a corner, a shot from Liam going just wide and a centre from James C almost resulting in an own goal after a good run up the left wing. But no more goals, leaving the halftime score at 4-0.

The second half started like the first with Blue Mountains continuing to attack. After 3 minutes ‘keeper James B’s kick found Stephen on the halfway line whose fine run up the right resulted in a save by the St Mary’s ‘keeper. 3 minutes later Mitchell C beat a defender and shot just wide after collecting Mitchell H’s through ball. But then the game became more even with James B doing well coming out from goal to smother a St Mary’s forward’s shot.

With 16 minutes to go James C found Mitchell H with a good through ball, Mitchell beat a defender and his strong shot hit the back of the net to make it 5-0. But 5 minutes later St Mary’s pulled one back with a goal from a free kick.

With 3 minutes to go James C was the unfortunate villain of the most memorable incident of the game. He made a good intercept in mid field, ran towards goal and dribbled round the ‘keeper. He started celebrating before shooting at an open goal from within the 6 yard area when it was impossible to miss but he somehow managed to hit the ball up to the crossbar and St Mary’s were able to clear.

But this did not detract from a fine win to which the whole team contributed.

Goal Scorers Justin, Cameron, Stephen, James C, Mitchell H
Player of the Match Mitchell C