Match Report U15.3 – 19-08-2007

vs Cranebrook
Opposition Score 3
Match Report A great team performance gave Blue Mountains the pennant with a close fought 4-3 win in very difficult wet and muddy conditions. Backs Steve, Aden, Ben and Nick were solid and disciplined in working the offside rule to good effect, goalkeeper James B handled the slippery conditions well while midfielders Mitchell C, Liam and Cameron and wingers Sam and Justin provided good support to forwards James C and Mitchell H who each scored two goals. The game started well with Mitchell H being well-positioned to score from point-blank range following a goalmouth melee after only 5 minutes. Blue Mountains continued to push forward, with Liam putting through James C whose shot was pushed behind by the Cranebrook ‘keeper for a corner. Within a minute Mitchell C won another corner, again forcing the ‘keeper to push a shot behind. After 20 minutes of play Samantha made a great run up the left wing but her cross was intercepted by a defender. 3 minutes later Liam again put through James C whose strong shot was just wide. Then 5 minutes later Sam sent Cameron away on the left wing but his cross was well caught by the goalkeeper. But with 29 minutes gone it was Cranebrook who scored against the run of play to equalise. Blue Mountains restored their lead within 3 minutes, James C collecting the ball near the half-way line and beating 2 defenders on a run through the middle before finding the back of the net with a strong shot low to the corner of the goal. But Cranebrook scored again on the stroke of half time to level the scores at the break. Blue Mountains started the second half strongly with Liam’s shot from the edge of the penalty area saved and a shot from James C finding the side netting. James C then restored the lead after being put through by Aden and beating a defender before beating the ‘keeper with his hallmark strong shot – all within the first 2 minutes of the second half! 3 minutes later James C found Mitchell H in the 6 yard box but his shot was saved. After another 3 minutes Liam found Cameron on the left, he took the ball into the penalty area, the Cranebrook ‘keeper stopped but couldn’t hold his shot and Mitchell H was again on hand to score his second goal from point-blank range. The remainder of the second half was more even as several players suffered muscle twinges in the cold wet conditions. Cranebrook pulled a goal back with 7 minutes remaining but Blue Mountains remained firm and finished the game worthy winners to end the season on a high note.
Goal Scorers Mitchell H 2, James C 2
Player of the Match The whole team!