Match Report U15.3 – 13 May, 2007

vs Springwood
Opposition Score 3
Match Report Blue Mountains achieved a remarkable fight-back, recording a 3-3 draw after being down 3-0 just 17 minutes before full time. James C’s strong running through the centre and Stephen’s fine work on the right wing resulted in 3 goals during a period of sustained dominance after Springwood had been on top in the first half.

Springwood established control early in the game, testing backs Aden, Mitchell C and Cameron who remained solid in defence. Goalkeeper James B did well to run out bravely on several occasions to beat Springwood forwards to through balls. But Springwood scored on 23 minutes after a period of pressure and again 4 minutes later following a breakaway which was not judged to be offside.

Blue Mountains started to get more into the game, with Ferret, Stephen, Liam and Ben in midfield and Sam and Justin on the wings working hard and creating attacking opportunities. 2 minutes after Springwood’s second goal, James C found Justin who took the ball up the right wing but his fine cross was just out of reach of Blue Mountains’ supporting forwards. 2 minutes later Cameron had a great run upfield, beating defenders to win a corner. Then Justin’s pass found James C who put the ball into the net only to be judged marginally offside. Forwards Mitchell C and James C were undaunted by Springwood’s physical defensive play which resulted in several free kicks where James C came close to scoring on more than one occasion. However these attacks failed to achieve any goals and the half time score remained 2-0 in Springwood’s favour.

The second half opened with more Blue Mountains attacks, with Liam sending up a great through ball in the first minute, winning a free kick against obstruction by a Springwood defender from which James C’s strong shot hit the crossbar. 3 minutes later James C intercepted a clearance and won a corner after a strong run into the penalty area. But 17 minutes into the half it was Springwood who scored after James B had made a good save but a Springwood challenge on the ‘keeper was judged not to constitute a foul after the referee consulted his linesman.

This goal was the catalyst for a Blue Mountains recovery. James C reduced the lead within a minute, shooting well from the edge of the 6 yard box after a strong run through the centre. 6 minutes later Aden’s clearance found Stephen who ran well up the right wing, his cross finding Mitchell H whose shot was saved. 3 minutes later Blue Mountains scored again after an almost identical move, Aden again initiating Stephen’s run up the right wing but this time the cross found Mitchell C unmarked in front of goal whose great shot reduced the lead to one goal.

Blue Mountains continued the attacking pressure and with 6 minutes left James C was unlucky to have a shot rebound off the Springwood ‘keeper’s legs. But 3 minutes later James C shot after another strong run through the centre, the ‘keeper saved but couldn’t hold the ball and Stephen following through found the net to level the scores and complete a superb fight-back.

Goal Scorers James C, Mitchell C, Stephen
Player of the Match James B