Match Report U14.4 – 1 July, 2006

vs Glenmore Park
Opposition Score 1
Match Report Blue Mountains had to make several changes due to injury and were able to field only 10 players. However the makeshift back line of Scott, Ben and Mitchell H in the second half turned in a strong disciplined performance under the direction of captain Nick to dominate their half of the pitch with ‘keeper James clearing well on the rare occasions he was called upon. Midfielders Will, Tim, Mitchell H and player of the match Sarah ran tirelessly to provide good service to forwards Otis and Rachel but goals were difficult against a strong Glenmore Park defence.
Blue Mountains combined well to launch many attacks up both flanks. After 6 minutes Mitchell H and Rachel combined well on the right to find Otis who won a corner. Scott, Sarah and Tim combined well on the left in several attacks. However it took 17 minutes before the first shot on target when Rachel’s shot was blocked for a corner after good work by Will and Mitchel H. 4 minutes later Otis shot just wide following an attack launched by Mitchell H and Rachel.
But after 23 minutes Glenmore Park scored against the run of play from a free kick. The long range kick bounced down off the crossbar and was coming out of the sun too high for James to catch cleanly.
Blue Mountains continued to attack for the last 7 minutes of the first half with Otis again shooting just wide and Tim having a shot saved but they went in one goal down at half time.
The second half continued the pattern of Blue Mountains attacks not being converted into goals. After 5 minutes Mitchell H’s shot went just wide, a minute later Otis had a shot saved, 2 minutes later Otis won a corner after good work from Will and Sarah and 3 minutes later Otis had another shot saved. But after 12 minutes Mitchell H’s shot was stopped by a defender’s hand and Rachel made no mistake from the penalty spot to level the score.
Blue Mountains continued to attack, with Tim winning a corner after a good run down the left, Tim shooting just wide after good work by Sarah, Otis and Rachel, and Sarah shooting into the side netting after a good run by Mitchell H up the centre. But it was captain Nick who was able to maintain the level scores by catching up with and dispossessing a Glenmore Park forward on the break.
Blue Mountains’ perseverance paid off with 3 minutes to go. The Glenmore Park ‘keeper saved a shot from Tim, Will intercepted his clearance and his strong shot found the back of the net to give the lead for the first time in the game. Blue Mountains continued to attack and Sarah’s shot hit the post in the last minute.
Goal Scorers Rachel (pen), Will
Player of the Match Sarah