Match Report U13.5 – 30 July, 2005

vs Warradale
Opposition Score 1
Match Report A close hard-fought game with Blue Mountains initially on top with good team-work culminating in a 2-1 half-time lead. Warradale fought back as Blue Mountains tired and they did well to hold the lead through the second half.

Backs Tom, Ellie, Ferret and Tim plus Ben in the second half were well disciplined, Ellie fearlessly taking on much larger opponents, Tom and Ben clearing well to initiate attacks, Tim making several good runs upfield and Ferret tackling strongly.

Robert, Scott Steven and Brenton worked well in midfield, providing good support to forwards Liam and Otis.

Blue Mountains started strongly with good teamwork, and after 5 minutes Robert combined with Brenton whose pass put Liam through to hit an angled shot from the left which beat the goalkeeper but hit the right hand post. After 9 minutes, Brenton and Robert again combined well, with Robert running on from Brenton’s through ball and his powerful shot beat the Warradale keeper to find the back of the net.

A mere 3 minutes later Steven made a fine run up the right wing, winning a corner. Liam connected with Robert’s corner kick and made no mistake in finding the net – 2 – Nil!

This 2 goal lead lasted only 2 minutes, as a Warradale forward met a through ball whose shot gave keeper James no chance.

As Warradale’s defence tightened, it was another 7 minutes before Blue Mountains had another clear shot when Robert hit a strong high ball from the edge of the penalty area over the goalkeeper’s head only to see it hit the crossbar.

Blue Mountains had to wait to the second half until their next clear shot which came from Liam’s run up the left, finding Robert in front of goal whose close range shot was well saved by the Warradale keeper. Further pressure saw Robert shoot just over the bar and Scott’s close range shot being well saved.

However as Blue Mountains tired, Warradale were able to mount more attacks, with James called upon to make a good save from a breakaway and then two reflex saves in close succession from close range shots near the end of the game. But there were no more goals and the game finished at 2-1.
Goal Scorers Robert, Liam
Player of the Match The whole team!