Match Report 12.5 – 7 August, 2004

Cranebrook 0
Match Report A game of two halves, with Blue Mountains dominating the first half to lead 3-0 at half-time with Mitchell C, Corey, Aden and Ben pushing forward from midfield enabling good goals from Ferret and Corey (2). The second half was more even with James having to make two good saves to maintain Blue Mountains’ lead.

Blue Mountains defended well in the first half, with backs Stephen, Mitchell H, Nathaniel and Liam clearing well the few Cranebrook attacks. Midfielders Corey, Mitchell C, Ben and Aden played very well, with Mitchell C’s big clearances, Corey’s speed and Aden’s perseverance consistently creating problems for the Cranebrook defence. Ferret and Michael also played well in attack.

Blue Mountains pressured the Cranebrook defence right from the start, with Mitchell C putting a long ball upfield which the goalkeeper reached just before Michael could get to it. Then after 12 minutes Corey pushed a ball up the left wing to Ferret who made no mistake in finding the net despite the angle. Less than 2 minutes later, Stephen pushed the ball up the right flank to Corey who capped off a great run with a well-taken goal. 5 minutes later Blue Mountains dominance paid off again when Michael was able to meet a cross from the left, unselfishly passed to Corey who was in a better position and his well-struck shot made it 3-0. Goalkeeper James didn’t touch the ball in the first half, indicating Blue Mountains dominance.

The second half was a different story, with play a lot more even. The defence was called upon to do much more work, with Stephen doing some good interceptions, Nathaniel clearing well and making some good runs upfield, Mitchell H doing his trademark dribbles upfield and Liam was his dependable self. Blue Mountains still created a lot of attacks. Aden put a through ball to Michael who ran down the left to the goal-line then crossed to Nathaniel following up well, his shot going just wide. Then Corey did a great run from halfway to the goal line, his cross being cut out by the Cranebrook defence. Nathaniel did a big clearance which Michael took into the penalty area and his shot was just wide. Then Aden, persistent to the end of the game, had a shot saved. Meanwhile at the other end, goalkeeper James pulled off two great saves to keep out high shots, the first of which he caught at the second attempt to keep the ball from the advancing Cranebrook forwards.
Goal Scorers Ferret Whyte
Corey Mangion (2)
Player of the Match Aden Heymans