Match Report 12.5 – 10 July, 2004

Band Club 4
Match Report Blue Mountains, with only 9 players, defended valiantly against a strong Band Club team, the backs tackling and clearing well and goalkeeper James making some fine saves to maintain a clean sheet until half time. As Blue Mountains tired, Band Club scored 4 second-half goals although the forwards never stopped attacking, with Steven scoring a late goal.

The first half featured almost constant pressure by Band Club. Backs Michael, Alexander, Ferret and Liam tackled and cleared well, with man-of-the-match Michael making 3 good clearances in quick succession, Liam and Ferret tackling strongly and Alexander marking and clearing well. However the depleted numbers allowed only two midfielders where Mitchell H and Steven’s valiant efforts were unable to prevent Band Club pushing the ball forward to mount more attacks. On one of the rare occasions Band Club got past the backs, goalkeeper James made a fine diving save to with the ball heading for the bottom left corner of the goal.

At the other end, forwards Nathaniel and Brenton pushed forward strongly whenever they got the ball. Nathaniel made a good run up the left to win a corner, which Steve was able to control well but his shot was saved. Then just before half time a fine run upfield by Mitchell H was stopped by a defender’s trip. Nathaniel took the free kick from well outside the penalty area and the goalkeeper did well to hold his high strong shot.

The second half continued a similar pattern, but with the depleted Blue Mountains team tiring. Band Club achieved an early goal despite suspicions of off-side. Blue Mountains continued to defend valiantly, and Mitchell H continued his runs upfield. However it was only a matter of time before the fresher Band Club forwards scored a second goal.

Blue Mountains refused to give in and continued to attack. Nathaniel made a strong run up the right and crossed well, Steven met it and lobbed the ball over the goalkeeper’s head to score a great goal at the far post.

However the celebrations were short-lived and Band Club continued to pressure the tiring Blue Mountains defence, scoring two more goals in the last few minutes to record a 4-1 victory.
Goal Scorers Steven Hooker
Player of the Match Michael Breckenridge