Match Report AA.5 – 16-05-2010








Match Report

This is always a massive game but after Bluey’s recent problems it appeared to have taken on seismic proportions. Given it was so early in the season, the points would not be decisive but the mountain men needed to make a statement of intent in the title race. Jamisontown were in for a fight!

The early stages of the game were a tit-for-tat affair with an even amount of attacks and both teams pressing forward with intent when in possession of the ball. However it fell to BMFC to kick-start proceedings, the DR pushed a sublime ball down the line for Bluey’s to explode on the counter. Grasshopper, with the ball at his feet, drew two defenders, skinning them with silky footwork he found himself inside the box. Celebrations ensued as Grasshopper pulled the trigger, the ball in off the post, to have the home crowd in raptures.

Before the half time break the referee handed out a red card to a Jamisontown midfielder, which in and of itself seemed only to provide Jamo with the inspiration they required. After going down to ten men they played some tough footy creating chances and really putting pressure on the mountains defensive system.

All that pressure eventually paid off with Bluey’s unable to withstand the continued attacks that Jamo were bringing to bare. Just before halftime Jamisontown struck back. 1-1 at the half and Jamo enjoying renewed confidence.

The half time talk inspired the boys in blue and they came out hard. it was, to no avail, unfortunately as Jamo held strong and BMFC’s forays forward were neutralised. Playing against ten men can be hard, pushing forward, can tire a team out allowing the ten men to get forward on the counter and sneek a goal against the run of play. Jamo threatened to do that here and with twenty to go Blueys’ relentless attacks began to take there toll – getting tired allowed Jamo to spring with a couple of chances only just seen off by the stolid mountains defence.

Still the mountain men are made of sterner stuff and with about twenty to go used their numbers to reassert their dominance over the game. the winner came through a skillful Bluey’s move – with the Dr drawing two defenders with a run towards the line, leaving strikers unmarked, and allowing them to ghost in at the top of the box. As the ball was cut back across the goalmouth Tingles picked it up, turned the sweeper and struck it into the top right hand corner. Bluey’s had rightfully regained the lead.

With 10 minutes left, Bluey’s had the chance to make it 3-1, in failing Tingles showed just how accurate his boot can be – pinpointing the keepers chest and picking up the maximum fifty points normally awarded to a bulls-eye.

There were a couple of scrappy chances near the end but the whistle blew soon afterwards.

Showing true grit and determination Blue Mountains Football Club were back. But had they ever really gone away?

Goal Scorers

Grasshopper Tingles

Player of the Match

mini – what a keeper!