Match Report O35.5 – 22-08-2010








Match Report

Last game of the regular season and after sitting in second spot behind Wollemi all year we had finally got our noses in front the week before. Knowing Wollemi would play later in the day and most likely win, we knew we had to win our game to guarantee winning the league.

After being shot by the Knapsack Park sniper at our Friday evening training session, I (Mark Ansell) was unable to participate in our most important game of the season – not happy Jan.

Ralph had the boys pumped up for a big one. The first half was evenly balanced early on. Jamisontown took the lead mid-way through the half with a goal from a corner. Blueys equalised a few minutes later with Marty providing a great ball for Andy to break his goal drought with a crisp finish. Jamisontown went back in front before the break with a 45-yard free kick that went right over the top of everyone, including Craig, between the sticks. Half time, 2-1 to Jamisontown.

A change of structure at half time saw the addition of our leading goalscorer Marcos (who was benched as he too had been shot by the same sniper at training a few weeks earlier). This allowed Andy to play a more central ball-winning and distribution role. A sacrifice was made in defence – 3 at the back instead of our usual 4. Keeping a clean sheet in the second half was a must, though.

Within minutes of the re-start, the changes reaped reward as Marcos was taken down in the box after weaving past a couple. We all thought he had broken his leg by the scream that was let out (he asked me after the game ‘was that convincing enough?’) . Penalty. Ralph stepped up and handled the sledging from the opposition to coolly place it exactly where every Blueys player knew it was going (if you play for Colo, Cranebrook or Wollemi and are reading this, I am not going to tell you, am I?), but fortunately the keeper did not know. 2 all.

The next 20 minutes or so saw Bluey’s dominate. Jamisontown’s keeper made some good saves and we also missed a few. Craig made a fantastic save from another long distance lob to tip the ball over the bar. A crucial save, as a minute later we were in front. A great cross from Brett eluded the keeper and Andy got a slight touch (and if you are reading this Ralph, this is an official match report and Andy’s down as the goalscorer!) and it was 3-2. 2 minutes later and it was 4-2 after the ball bobbled around in the box, Andy managed to bring it down and smash it into the back of the net. Game over. A few more chances for Blueys came and went but it didn’t matter, we’d done enough.

Merv proved you can take having a quiet beer after the game to a new level by providing bourbon and coke in the esky as well as producing a large bottle of tequila for us all to have a celebratory swig!

Looking forward to the semi-final against Colo. 

Goal Scorers

Andy (3), Ralph (pen)

Player of the Match