Rego Info

Registration Information – Players, Coaches, Managers

All players, coaches, managers and committee members) must register on-line using the MyFootballClub system.  You need to know the following before logging in: your FFA Number, FFA password and e-mail address.

To start the on-line registration process, click here.  Please, please, PLEASE ensure that correct home/mobile numbers and e-mail addresses are recorded in your on-line registration form, as this is our means of contacting you, if the need be.

If you need a Step-by-Step Guide on how to complete the on-line registration process, there are three versions available – a 1-page simple guide, a 4-page detailed guide and an 8-page detailed guide with screen shots.

Note #1: to upload a suitable photo, please read the Guide, otherwise your registration cannot be accepted.

Note #2: photo is to be passport-style and in soft (digital) copy.  An actual passport photo is not required.

Note #3: if you’d like us to take your photo, which we’re happy to do (because then it’s done right the first time), please see us at a Rego Day or Team Muster Day.

To see if you need to turn up to the clubhouse on Registration Days to complete the registration process (as the on-line component is just one part of the process for some people), use our Flowchart to help you determine this (click here).

For fees, payment options and the Club’s bank account details, click here.

Accredited coaches are mandatory for U5-U9 and Division 1 teams – for information on coaching courses, click here.

All Coaches & Managers (for all teams except O35s) – you now need a WORKING WITH CHILDREN (WWC) number if you are aged 18 and over.

Football NSW has introduced a new policy in this regard.  For further information, visit  So, if you are thinking of taking on one (or more) of these roles and you don’t have a WWC number, we’d encourage you to apply a.s.a.p.  Applying costs $0 for volunteers – you can start the process on-line ( and it’s fairly quick to do – and then your identity needs to be checked by attending a ServiceNSW or RMS centre.